Congratulations to the First Grade Poets! Our class book, Winter Fun, won 1st place in the Diocesan Young Author's Faire. You may remember reading their haikus during Open House. The students created, word processed, and then illustrated them on the laptops to turn them into a book. The award ceremony is Saturday, April 29, at St. Mary School in Walnut Creek from 12-3 p.m. All first graders are encouraged to attend to receive the certificate. The class won a $15 coupon to buy books from the Scholastic Book Fair that day.
I hope to see many first graders and their families at the Family Mass on Sunday, April 23, @ 9 a.m.
We are looking forward to our walking field trip to the Alameda Theater on April 24, for an Earth Day movie, Born in China as well as the Alameda Library on April 28. Permission slips for the Chabot Space & Science Center on Friday, May 12, should have been returned. All drivers and/or chaperones will be confirmed the week of April 24.
When we return from Easter vacation it will be a whirlwind of activity in addition to all the core academic learning.
Here's a look at what we're working on when we return:
- read-a-loud: culmination of Unit 5 theme: What makes a good friend?
- character development
- time & order writing
- sight words: group might together example few often
- al & all words (salt, tall)
- comparing numbers
- inequality statements
- counting by 2's
- Jesus is risen
- Give thanks to God
- What happened to the pumpkin we buried in October?
Important dates to remember:
- April 14-21-Easter Break
- April 23-9 a.m. Family Mass prepared by 1st Grade
- April 24-Fun Run Kick off
- -Earth Day Movie, Born in China, walking field trip
- April 28-walking field trip to Alameda Library
- May 3-May Crowning all school mass, 8:30 a.m.
- May 4-Celebration of the Arts
- May 5-minimum day
- May 8-FUN RUN
- May 12-Field Trip to Chabot Space & Science Center
- May 18-Sports Awards
- May 19-Talent Show, 1 p.m.
- May 26- Feast of St. Philip Neri, 8:30 a.m. mass and Minimum Day
- May 29-Memorial Day Holiday
Other Teacher websites that involve our class
Spanish (Señora Panameño-Bailey) Physical Education (Mr. Croft) Music (Ms. Holly)